Thursday, January 28, 2010

J.D. Salinger Envy

I just read on the BBC that Catcher In the Rye author, J.D. Salinger passed away. I Can remember how I came to it when I was in my late teens: a male friend, whom I likened to a much older brother, handed it to me and told me that it reminded him of me; I couldn't finish the book. I had such a negatively charged reaction to Catcher. It is a feeling I struggle to explain. To me, it was like a migraine to my psyche.

The BBC article stated that after the publication of Catcher, "Salinger shunned the fame it brought him" and so he bought a house in New Hampshire and "retreated into seclusion."

How I wish I had the time, clarity, and organization to write an autobiography, and, my grandmother and mother's biographies; and that they would earn enough to make it possible for me to move to an island in the Carolina's, where I would disappear.  Poetry certainly isn't going to bring it.

No comments:

When I was 29 and all the world was in front of me and I was unselfconscious and world-building. Internally, I built worlds of sound, color,...