Friday, May 11, 2012

TED-x Videos, My Current Read and some...minor Preoccupations

So, I'm watching a TEDx video about Death in the 21st Century and what I've just learned from the soft-spoken good Doctor, Peter Saul is depressing me. Namely, that many of us will live to a "great age"; not old age, which is somewhat of a new buzzy phrase for me, but sadly, many of us will die of a "dwindling capacity," that leads to frailty, and finally, to death. He shows a Klimt painting about the separation of Death and the living, observing the terror on the face of a woman who's afraid that he's coming to claim her (he wasn't). However, what keeps distracting me is his watch. He and I appear to have similar tastes in watches, as I think he's wearing a 1946ish, 18k, Baum & Mercier with a blue sapphire windup and a dark brown leather band. He likes his watch very much; he flashes it and glances at it frequently, much like one of Bob Barker's hostesses would.


So, I'm reading Him, Her, Him Again, the End of Him and enjoying it. Marx's writing is contagious. I find myself, inside my head anyway, to suddenly be more quick-witted and sharp, which is just me trying on her coat while I'm reading her. Coincidentally, I read an article this morning on Yahoo by Virginia Heffernan entitled "Will Obama's Julia Celebrate Gay Marriage?" And her prose is rife with Marxisms; Pat's not Karl's.

On to TEDx Warsaw and Renata Mienkowska-Norkiene's  talk Working Out Conflict.

later  

No comments:

When I was 29 and all the world was in front of me and I was unselfconscious and world-building. Internally, I built worlds of sound, color,...