Monday, May 07, 2012

Alu


Well, I heard Alu on John Diliberto's Echo program, and I was immediately curious. He was playing "Martian Rendezvous" at the time -- I had one of those NPR fundraiser moments, where they remind listeners of how many times we've sat in our cooling cars in order to listen to the end of an enthralling show; I searched her and got a listen to the rest of Lobotomy Sessions at cdbaby.com.

Alu, in my 'not going down without a kick and a scream' opinion is at her best on the last three tunes: "Amy," "Martian Rendezvous," and "Luna." While her lyrics are sharp as the toes on a Dorsey Cut pair of heels, her voice is truly showcased when she drags her vowels out like slow, wildly colorful, warm taffy. The haunt --and the hot-factor, happens in these three songs far more authentically than the first seven.

No comments:

When I was 29 and all the world was in front of me and I was unselfconscious and world-building. Internally, I built worlds of sound, color,...