Monday, March 18, 2013

The Catch : Poetry Everywhere : Video : The Poetry Foundation

The Catch : Poetry Everywhere : Video : The Poetry Foundation >

This is one of my favorite poems by Stallings. Many, many more.  Archaic Smile is the book I chose to have the class read for my senior poetry workshop course in college.  A.E. Stallings inspires me to try to write formal poetry. I think this video really does justice to the poem.

Enjoy The Catch BY A.E. STALLINGS Something has come between us— It will not sleep. Every night it rises like a fish Out of the deep. It cries with a human voice, It aches to be fed. Every night we heave it weeping Into our bed, With its heavy head lolled back, Its limbs hanging down, Like a mer-creature fetched up From the weeds of the drowned. Damp in the tidal dark, it whimpers, Tossing the cover, Separating husband from wife, Lover from lover. It settles in the interstice, It spreads out its arms, While its cool underwater face Sharpens and warms: This is the third thing that makes Father and mother, The fierce love of our fashioning That will have no brother. A. E. Stallings, "The Catch" from (: Poetry magazine, )

No comments:

When I was 29 and all the world was in front of me and I was unselfconscious and world-building. Internally, I built worlds of sound, color,...